7.18.2010

the truth is...

I started working on a post about my last jar of salsa... a post that i had in my drafts that was originally about my first jars of salsa.  but let's be honest here, i feel like this past week has EATEN ME ALIVE so, if I just posted about salsa, i would be putting on a bit of a front.

but just to be clear, this past week wasn't bad, i was just a few steps behind all week. and I took no photos.

we did some fun stuff... we had 2 playdates, we went to the farmers market, i made more pickles, we went to a birthday party, i went grocery shopping solo, i went to happy hour with girlfriends, faustino and i went to the lake with his colleagues,  i did so much laundry.  and dishes!! {since i had hot running water in the kitchen}.  I also made quite possibly the best pasta sauce of my life {not to sound boastful, but mine is always pretty good.  this was just especially wonderful} and faustino and I discovered just how wonderful netflix online is...{movies! movies! everything you ever thought about seeing at your fingertips!!}

yet, i never felt like i was really in control of the week.  it felt more like a runaway train I was chasing after.


but back to the salsa.  this is my last jar.  I am so, so sad.

IMG_2743

and let me just say, the salsa was a labor of love.  remember this week?  where everything ripened at the same time?  i didn't really complain in that post, but it beat me down... researching the recipe, prepping, canning, etc.

anyway, the salsa was excellent.  so much so, that we ate all 9 jars - wait, 8 jars, because I gave one away... {as a token of thanks for borrowing this dress}

anyway, salsa is a tricky beast.  I had to really research it, because it is a mixture of low acid and high acid ingredients, and needs to be in a certain ratio to keep it from spoiling on the shelf.  sheesh!  what did our great grandmothers do without pages of posts on a forum to sift through to learn about this??

so i finally found the recipe, and made changes {that didn't affect the ratio of acid} but still don't think I have it exactly like I want it.  I think there are a few things that I could tweak in the heat department.  but really, i must say, this was shockingly good for my first attempt.  I mean, it was like what you would buy at central market.  and that is why i am so sad about it being the last jar.

so here is to hoping that the fall crop of tomatoes affords me the opportunity to try again.

this is the work in progress salsa recipe:


Stephanie's Salsa {mild}:
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained {folks, this is a lot of tomatoes - 8 cups sans tomato goo}
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos (not to exceed 1/4 c.)
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lime juice (bottled)
3/4 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes.
Pour into hot pint jars, process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes 6 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment

have i mentioned that i really, really love comments...?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...